BSc (Hons) Construction and the Built Environment
Challenging global market conditions continue to dominate the building and construction industry. Key to success are skilled employees, who can manage complex construction project issues, a rare resource nowadays.
This GA programme develops high-quality employees capable of playing key- and leadership roles in leading organisations across the construction industry, general contracting and consultancy.
The Construction and the Built Environment GA is aimed at employment in the areas of Architectural Technology, Building Surveying, Construction Buying and Procurement, Construction Management, Estimating and Tendering, Facilities Management, Planning and Development, Programming, Project Management, Property Surveying, Rural Surveying, Valuation and Quantity Surveying.
This GA programme is also fully accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) meaning that apprentices are on a pathway to becoming Chartered construction professionals. Depending on the individual’s career development, this is most likely to be through the Quantity Surveying and Construction pathway or the Project Management pathway. Find out more.
The Construction and the Built Environment degree is designed to produce graduates with:
competence in project and delivery management including the knowledge, skills, and professional competences necessary to begin practice as a professional in the construction and the built environment sector.
- competence in the valuation of land and property (applies to those within the land and property sector only)
- An understanding of appropriate solutions around the principles of design and technology
- the ability to reconcile conflicting project objectives, finding appropriate solutions which recognise, cost, time, quality, life cycle aspects and sustainability
- the ability to learn new methods, and technologies as they emerge and appreciate the necessity of such continuing professional development
- Apply and understand relevant laws – describe standards, regulations and their consequences across the sector
- an understanding of business management concepts, such as data management, business finance and business strategies
- the ability to confidently work both as an individual and part of a team to develop and deliver solutions within construction and the built environment
- an understanding of the importance of applying negotiation, effective work habits, leadership, and good communication with stakeholders
- the ability to take responsibility for obligations for health, safety, welfare environment and quality issues
- Understand the need for and maintain a commitment to a high level of professional and ethical conduct, recognising obligations to society, the profession and the wider environment
The primary focus of the Construction and Built Environment Graduate Apprenticeship Programme is on developing the knowledge, understanding and skills outcomes sought by employers.
Design and technology
- Technology of buildings including materials
- Principles of design & construction
- Detailed pathology of buildings and the related defects, causes and remedies
- Data Management
- Business finance and accounting
- Business strategy and management
Project and delivery management
- Project management
- Project planning
- Project execution
- Project risk assessment and management
- Commercial management
- Valuation of Land and Property (this outcome applies to those within the Land and Property sector only)
- Comply with overarching professional standards
- Exercise responsibilities in an ethical manner
- Maintain current awareness of sustainability and environmental considerations
- Maintain sound theoretical understanding of current and emerging professional practice
- Apply knowledge of health, safety, welfare, environment and quality
Personal and interpersonal
- Personal attributes
- Professional attributes
- Team working
Internationally renowned as a leader in construction research and education, we offer your employees the vital skills versatility required by an increasingly dynamic industry. Our active links with the construction industry ensure a high-quality education that is firmly grounded in the real world.
Graduate Apprenticeship in Construction and the Built Environment creates skilled employees, ready to develop their career in cost management and Quantity Surveying.