Normally at Heriot-Watt, you have the opportunity to become a global student by taking part in an inter-campus transfer, Erasmus+ or Exchange scheme. Studying abroad is a unique opportunity and likely to provide some of your most memorable life experiences.
However, due to the global restrictions around travel, semester 1 of 2020/21 will closed for applications. We are looking at different ways of offering this in a safe and sensible way for Semester 2. Please check back for updates.
Broaden your horizons
Studying abroad is a great opportunity to meet people, discover new interests and develop your life skills. It can build your confidence, develop your adaptability and hone your resourcefulness, which are all important personal attributes valued by employers.
Experience new cultures
Challenging yourself to study in a different country can be a highly rewarding and stimulating experience, which will open your mind to new cultures and possibilities. It will also develop your learning in exciting ways.
Build your global network
In today's world of globally connected business, the network, knowledge and experience you build up while studying abroad can give you a competitive edge, as well as bringing a new perspective on your life, aspirations and career options.
Enhance your career prospects
Being a global student can greatly enhance your future career prospects:
- A lower proportion of UK graduates who were mobile were unemployed
- A higher proportion of graduates who were mobile were working abroad, if in employment
- On average graduates who were mobile earned more in 11 out of 17 subject areas
- Graduates who were mobile earned more if they remained in the UK to work
- Graduates who were mobile were earning more in 40 out of 67 subjects.