Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 52 2139432
The programme is for those who wish to understand the energy, CO2 and functional performance-related engineering strategies and systems used in buildings to ensure high performance, and also how these relate to basic aspects of architectural design such as spatial design and human response to the physical features of the built environment. Fundamental and integral to the programme is a grounding in mathematics and building science as well as an understanding of the management and professional practices that form the knowledge base and skills of the modern architectural engineering professional.
The programme is structured around three main themes:
- Energy and sustainability of buildings
- Systems and whole building design
- Human behaviour and interaction with buildings.
With a focus on designing the buildings and cities for the future:
- Buildings that use less energy
- Zero emission
- Climate change
- Renewable energy
Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Building Design
Our Architectural Engineering programme is delivered by the Royal Academy of Engineering Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Building Design. This is one of four such centres established at UK universities that jointly form a national network to demonstrate and exchange best practice in teaching and research for the sustainable built environment.
Meet the faculty
Why study Architectural Engineering at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- The first and only programme in the Gulf region to offer a UK Architectural Engineering degree that combines the best of both worlds (engineering and architecture)
- The programme gives you both engineering skills and an understanding of architecture so that you are able to help transform architectural drawings into reality.
- Our programme is designed to help shape the built environment for the 21st century, in terms of providing a sustainable, energy efficient, low carbon and green society.
- Throughout the courses of study, you are provided with the opportunity to develop an awareness of the fundamental interaction between environmental, technological, design and human factors.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
Our BEng programme is accredited by the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) and the Energy Institute (EI)
Note that the programme structure below is to illustrate the distribution of teaching and is subject to developmental change.
- Construction Technology 1
- Mechanics (A)
- Shaping Tomorrow Together (A)
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists 1
- Building Services Technology
- Mechanics (B)
- Shaping Tomorrow Together (B)
- Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists 2
- Design Project
- Acoustics and Architectural Design or Electrical and Lighting Services for Buildings (biennial)
- Construction Technology 2
- Hydraulics and Hydrology
- Environment and Behaviour
- Statistics for Science
- History and Theories of Architecture
- Critical Architectural Studies
- Electrical and Lighting Services for Buildings or Acoustic and Architectural Design (biennial)
- Design Software Applications
- Laboratory Project
- Energy and Buildings
- Thermal Performance Studies
- Design Issues
- Environmental Engineering
A major feature of the fourth year starts with a collaborative design project across all built environment disciplines. Students produce a building design to address a specific client brief, giving information on building form, design, services, sustainability, cost and planning.
This is a highlight of Year 4 as students progress into individual project work which is specific to the AE discipline. Students will also complete an individual research dissertation on a topic of their choice.
- Design Project (S1)
- Dissertation (S1)
- Procurement and Contracts
- Design Project (S2)
- Dissertation (S2)
- Sustainable and Intelligent Buildings
- Innovation in Construction Practice
Graduates from the Architectural Engineering programme can expect to find jobs in:
- Sustainability Engineering Companies
- Building Design Consultancies
- Multinational architectural / construction companies
- Building services and engineering companies
- Government organisations
Some of our current graduates work with Emirates Green Building Council, Johnson Controls, Buro Happold, WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff Engineering Services
The normal entry criteria are listed below. However, the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level CCC (or AABB at AS-Level)
- CBSE 65%.
- American High School Diploma + SAT 1s - 1000
- Tawjihiyya 80%
- International Baccalaureate 24 points (including Maths HL)
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma MMM
- Foundation year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) with a BBBB.
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent – 70%
- Curriculum Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) with minimum grade of 5 + IELTS 6.0
- EmSAT minimum 1400 English, 1300 Maths, 1100 Physics, 1100 Chemistry
- Compulsory subjects to include Mathematics, Physics and English.
Second year entry
- GCE A-Levels BBC
- International Baccalaureate 27 points (including Maths HL)
- CBSE Overall 85%
- American High School 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 OR Minimum 3 SAT 2’s 500 each
- Higher National Diploma (HND) PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma DDD
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent 85%
- Compulsory subjects include Mathematics, Physics and English
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to email@example.com
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no element below 5.5).
Fees and funding
- AED 65100 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Find out about our payment options
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.