Student Emergency Support Appeal
As this major crisis unfolds across the globe and the spread and impact of the coronavirus COVID-19 rapidly worsens, more and more countries are coming to a standstill. We are responding and are united in our resolution to ensure the wellbeing of our students.
Many of them have been overwhelmed by the coronavirus outbreak and in addition to fears about their health, some face being without money, jobs and even homes during the crisis. Others are stranded in student accommodation, unable to return home.
We are doing everything we can to help them but we urgently need your help to deliver essential support.
How you can help
We are doing our utmost to ensure student learning continues and that we are supporting as many students as we can with their specific needs, but we need your help.
There are three main ways in which you can help: volunteering your time or professional support, making a donation or staying in touch.
Volunteer your time or professional support
You can show your support through volunteering your time or lending professional support through networking, support and advice, career guidance, online project driven internships, mentorship and just being there for our students and wider community.
Please give your time, your experience and your skills to help our students.
Ways to give your time and support
- Be a mentor: Offer e-mentoring or formal mentoring with current students who are looking for guidance and advice at this uncertain time.
- Industry projects: Give a student valuable work experience by contributing to an industry project. Projects can be small or larger pieces of work which can be worked on by students remotely or online. To find out more and discuss a potential project please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Offer an internship: At this time many of our students’ internships are being cancelled. Please let us know if your business can offer intern opportunities by sharing them on our Careers Service Vacancy Database.
Make a donation
The Student Emergency Support Appeal has been created to provide support for unforeseen costs such as emergency and extended accommodation for students who find themselves unable to leave or go home; for loss of employment, travel and associated costs; and for essential equipment to assist in remote learning and to create a programme of support for students who are joining the University later this year.
- A gift of £10 could provide a food package to a student stranded at one of our campuses, ensuring they do not go hungry.
- A gift of £50 could pay the heating bill to keep a student warm.
- A gift of £500 could provide a student with a basic laptop keeping them on track with their studies as all learning has moved online.
- A gift of £1000 would contribute to a fund providing emergency hardship grants to support students most at risk, for example from eviction, or to find alternative accommodation from an unsafe environment.
Ways to donate now
- Donate by credit or debit card securely using the donation form below.
- If you are making a gift from the US or Canada (3), please instead visit our dedicated US giving page or Canada giving page to ensure your gift is tax efficient.
- If you want to give a gift in another way, please contact email@example.com
- You can also give a regular amount via Direct Debit.
100% of your financial contribution will go directly to supporting a student most in need, and ensuring that students at all our campuses in UK, Dubai and Malaysia will be able to access these funds.
Stay in touch
If you have ideas about how you can help, or just want to let us know how you're doing, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ways to stay connected
- Connect with fellow alumni and students on Watt Club Connect, our peer to peer networking platform. There you can find or provide support, advice, introductions, mentors, networking opportunities, jobs, online events and more.
- Join our Watt Club Careers group. We’ve created a group for alumni to share careers advice, knowledge, opportunities and to support to one another. We’ll also share best practice, hints and tips and have input our Careers Service advisors at Heriot-Watt.
- Promote your business with our alumni business directory. We’re offering alumni the chance to share details of their business easily, effectively and for free during this challenging time.
- Follow us on social media and keep updated on the latest news from Heriot-Watt.
We are extremely proud that our graduates are spread far and wide, with such a wealth of experience and such a strong sense of community. Our students need your support now more than ever.
On behalf of our students and our global communities, we would like to thank you for anything you can do to support our students during these unprecedented times.
We hope you and your loved ones remain safe and well.